Monday, June 30, 2014

Home

A'salaam alaikum wa ramatulahi wa barakatuhu. In sha Allaah  this finds you all in ever increasing emaan and may Allaah grant you any blessings in this Ramadan. 

This is my third Ramadan and alhamdulillah aside from a small set back thanks to my body, it is going surprising well (it's only my 2nd day of fasting so far but in sha Allaah it can only get easier from here, right??).

Anyway, I love coming to the masjid during non-prayer hours. It is so relaxing and calm. I am the only sister here right now. As I sit on the slightly worn looking, green floral rugs of our sisters prayer room, with my Holy Qur'an in my lap, I can hear the muffled discussions of the brothers through the door and every now and then the ringing of the doorbell, signaling that someone else has arrived. The only other sounds that can be heard are the soft ticking of the clock and the quiet hum of the air conditioner. There are no bleachers, no pews. Only a handful of chairs dot the back wall of the room. Peaceful. Serene. 

In approximately two hours, the scene will change. The rooms will start to fill up with brothers and sisters of all ages, all eager for the Adhan of Maghrib prayer, signifying that it is now time to break their fast. The air becomes static with anticipation as everyone waits as patiently as they can for those melodious words of the muezzin (caller). Lively. Excited. 

I was terrified to step foot into the masjid just over two years ago.. Afraid of what other sisters who had been Muslim for far longer than I had might say. But today as I sit here in this most amazing of buildings, the most beautiful of rooms, I look around me and listen to the sounds of the masjid. I am no longer scared to walk through the doors, or to enter the sister's area. Sitting here in quiet reflection, in the soft, airy fabric of these clothes, in the space between these walls, in the comfort of Islaam, and in my faith in Allaah the Most Merciful, and Most Forgiving, I am home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment