Thursday, April 10, 2014

Seekers of Knowledge

Assalamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.

As'salaam alaikum everyone! I apologize for the length between posts. In my last blog, I wrote about starting down a new path - the path of knowledge for the sake of Allaah and working toward my Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies from the Islamic Online University. Well, so far all is going splendidly with my new set of courses, alhamdulillah and I am excited about what the future could hold for me once this new degree is acquired. Also, I do hope to eventually finish my BA in Sociology from OU as well, but for now focusing on just IOU is what is best.

I get asked by everyone "What can you do with a degree in Sociology?" and similarly "What will you do with a degree in Islamic Studies. There are many things that I consider doing with my multiple degrees from continuing on with my Master's degree in subjects such as Social Work, Public Health, Criminology, and Religious Studies. But I stop and think, "What is interesting in content AND what will allow me to use my degree(s) to benefit my deen? What can I do that will allow me to help others?" What I would really love to do though, is find something that I can combine my degrees to be of use to myself and others. I haven't decided what exactly that will be, but I'm sure with patience and the guidance of Allaah, subhana wa'tallah, I will find my niche, in sha Allaah. I do know that I want to continue my studies with IOU as far as I am able and I would like to attain my PhD in Islamic Studies  and eventually, in sha Allaah become a scholar. 

The hardest part of online learning is trying to find the balance between school work deadlines and other obligations like family, job, life. As practically a professional student (I've been working toward a four year degree for nearly nine years now. I know, I know, but life happens), I can offer this piece of advice to any of my fellow students who may read this, it can be extremely difficult to find the self discipline pursue online programs. However, it can be done and done well. 
Firstly, keep your intentions pure. Why are you seeking the knowledge that you are? Is it for personal gain? Be honest with yourself.
Know your limits and don't over extend yourself. It is easy to tell someone that you will be able to join them for lunch or dinner and that your studies can wait until you get back. Don't put them off! I have found that procrastination only leads to more procrastination. As the saying goes, "Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?" It's true, that the free hour or so that you might have 'now' won't necessarily be there 'later'. Turn off the distractions. Facebook and twitter are interesting, but those things can be caught up later with a quick scroll of the page.
And finally, slow down! Don't rush through the materials to the section exams. It is more about the quality of knowledge that you acquire rather than how quick you can get it done.


"Let not the massive amount of information at our finger tips distract us from knowledge that benefits."  - Abdulbary Yahya


I know some of you have small children and families as well as jobs, I have them too. Take the time to study when you have it. A nap while the little ones might sound great, but throw in a quick read and then catch a few z's. Most of my course work happens before I go to work, after I come home, and on my days off in between family time with my husband and two boys. Honestly, it's really about finding a schedule to fit your situation but being organized is a big thing. 

I know that usually these entries are more about the daily happenings in my life as a new(ish) Muslimah but I thought that tonight as I have heard many sisters (and brothers too!) that are struggling with their studies, that I would post some things to maybe, hopefully, Allaah willing, help them out. 


"It is not the knowledge which should come to you, it is you who should come to the knowledge." - Imam Malik ibn Anas

"He who has not endured the stress of study will not taste the joy of knowledge." - Abd al-Latif al-Baghdadi 

 

I look forward to continuing this journey of learning with all of my classmates, for the sake of Allaah. May He make it easy for us. Ameen






1 comment:

  1. WaAlaikum Asalaam waramatulahi Wabarakatahu

    So true! I'm in the same boat! I'm enrolled in my BA at IOU for Psychology and Islamic studies and also perusing Social worker degree. May Allah make it easy on us and keep us firm and excited aameen

    ReplyDelete